Student Case Report Contest
22nd Annual Student Case Report Contest
ABVP is pleased to announce the 22nd Annual Student Case Report Contest. Every year, ABVP opens this contest to students in all areas of veterinary medicine and surgery. Winning case reports must include appropriate diagnostic workups as well as medical and/or surgical managements; a clear demonstration of veterinary expertise; the application of sound medical principles in diagnosis and treatment; and the communication of medical observations and data in an organized manner. Because submissions are reviewed using the same guidelines as those used to evaluate actual ABVP applicants, these winners are to be commended for their excellence.
Thanks to a generous sponsorship from Elanco and Merial. The contest is divided into two categories:
- Companion Animal (including equine)
- Food Animal Species
22nd Annual Case Report Contest Winners
- 1st place: Lindsey Schneider from Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine, with the case titled “Maxillary Osteonecrosis in an English Springer Spaniel”
- 2nd place: Theresa Grandys of the University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine, with the case titled “Concurrent hyperparathyroidism and chronic renal failure in a Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pig (Sus scrofa)”
- 3rd place: Caitlin Pohlit of The Ohio State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, with the case titled “Physaloptera infection in a dog with chronic vomiting”
- 1st place: Vanessa Bradley from Michigan State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, with the case titled “Recurrent Urethral Obstruction Secondary to Urolithiasis in a Nigerian Dwarf Goat”
- 2nd place: Renee Seager of the University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine, with the case titled “An Unusual Presentation of Pericarditis in a Holstein Heifer”
- 3rd place: to Shannon McGill of the University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine, with the case titled “Hydroallantois in a Four Year Old Milking Shorthorn Cow”
The First Place winner in each category will receive $800 and a stipend up to $1100 to attend the annual ABVP Symposium to receive his/her award.* The Second Place winners will receive a $400 cash award and Third Place winners will receive a $200 cash award.
Case Report Format and Guidelines
Case reports are expected to be written according to ABVP guidelines. Please refer to the ABVP Applicant Handbook for proper format and structure.
Case reports are submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in either a PDF or Word file no later than March 15, 2013.
Notification of Results
The ABVP Student Case Report Committee will review the manuscripts according to the same guidelines used to evaluate actual ABVP applicants. All participants will be notified by mail of the results no later than April 30, 2013.
*The 1st place winner will be required to submit receipts for all expenses incurred for travel to and from the Symposium. Reimbursement will be made up to $1100 for actual monies spent. If the 1st place winner is unable to attend the annual ABVP Symposium, he/she may use it for the following year's Symposium only. Any unused funds are forfeited after that time.